20 Percent of FCRA lawsuits and 17 Percent of FDCPA Lawsuits Filed in 2011 Were Filed in The First Half of April
Business is picking up in the world of consumer credit related lawsuits. According to Michigan based WebRecon some 617 lawsuits were filed between April 1 and April 15, 2011. Of those 617, 564 were FDCPA lawsuits and 73 were FCRA lawsuits. 564 represents 17% of the FDCPA lawsuits filed so far in 2011. The 73 FCRA lawsuits represents 20% of the total filed so far in 2011. The remaining 17 were either TILA or TCPA lawsuits. I can tell you from first hand experience that March and April were very busy months for credit expert witnesses and FDCPA expert witnesses.
The following is from WebRecon’s semi monthly newsletter…
- Of those cases, there were about 624 unique plaintiffs (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit).
- Of those plaintiffs, about 185 had sued under consumer statutes before.
- Combined, those plaintiffs have filed about 1118 lawsuits since 2001
- Actions were filed in 133 different US District Court branches.
- About 504 different collection firms and creditors were sued.
The top courts where lawsuits were filed:
- 50 Lawsuits: Pennsylvania Eastern District Court – Philadelphia
- 48 Lawsuits: Colorado District Court – Denver
- 29 Lawsuits: Minnesota District Court – Dmn
- 24 Lawsuits: Florida Southern District Court – Fort Lauderdale
- 22 Lawsuits: New Jersey District Court – Newark
- 19 Lawsuits: California Central District Court – Western Division – Los Angeles
- 16 Lawsuits: Indiana Southern District Court – Indianapolis
- 16 Lawsuits: California Southern District Court – San Diego
- 15 Lawsuits: Illinois Northern District Court – Chicago
- 15 Lawsuits: Texas Southern District Court – Houston
The most active consumer attorneys were:
- Representing 36 Consumers: Craig Thor Kimmel
- Representing 20 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 16 Consumers: Lark H Fogel
- Representing 16 Consumers: Mark L Vavreck
- Representing 15 Consumers: Diana Panian Larson
- Representing 14 Consumers: Michael S Agruss
- Representing 13 Consumers: Donald A Yarbrough
- Representing 11 Consumers: Dave Lilley
- Representing 10 Consumers: Andrea Darrow Smith
- Representing 9 Consumers: Allison Marie Wolfe
Statistics Year to Date:
- 3437 total lawsuits for 2011, including:
- 3251 FDCPA
- 368 FCRA
- 172 TILA
- 111 TCPA
Number of Unique Plaintiffs: 3468 (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit)
The most active consumer attorneys of the year:
- Representing 106 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 105 Consumers: Craig Thor Kimmel
- Representing 66 Consumers: James D Pacitti
- Representing 60 Consumers: Michael S Agruss
- Representing 57 Consumers: Lara Ruth Shapiro
Commenting not available on this post.
This article should not be interpreted as legal advice or testimony. It does not represent any conclusive opinion of the author or any of the credit experts from ExpertCreditWitness.com.